I offer personalised, original and bespoke services, suited to niche and unique topics, individuals and groups. Where other professional translation, proof-reading, research or tutoring companies often exclusively focus on the corporate world, I put the individual and their passions, needs and vision at the centre. I engage sensitively and with deep empathy with my clients. I am a linguist, researcher and educationalist because it is my passion to find the right word, the precise focus and the fitting approach in everything I do.
Being fully bilingual, I am able to translate both from English to German and German to English. My fields of interest range from the humanities (philosophy, history, theology, education, linguistics and languages, musicology, cultural studies) to environmental texts, nature writings, popular science, spirituality, fiction and children’s literature.
I translate academic articles across disciplines, abstracts for conference papers and prepare summaries of articles in the target language. For the anthroposophical community, I worked with and translated for Dr Jost Schieren, Dr Richard Landl, Prof Dr Peter Lutzker and Prof Dr Stephan Ronner (music education). For the Stuttgarter Hochschule in Germany, I translated their entire prospectus for the International Masters Programme into English.
I also translate official documents as well as private letters. Whatever the subject matter, I always stay as close to the original text as possible and formulate as freely as necessary. I keep the author actively involved to make sure the text delivers the intended message. This creates a dynamic exchange with the author during the translation process which is highly valued by both parties.
I pride myself on meticulous adherence to the required style sheets, bibliographic formats and publisher’s editorial requests.
As editorial assistant at university, I performed all aspects of editorial work for the academic journal Anglistik und Englischunterricht. I helped edit Prof Dr Peter Lutzker’s Teaching as an Art and edited and prepared my own PhD thesis for publication.
I am available for proof-reading BA and Masters’ theses, PhD theses, journal articles, academic presentations and personal speeches. I offer proof-reading for German and English texts.
As a university lecturer, I corrected hundreds of exams and read numerous seminar papers and theses. As an editorial assistant, I proof-read large numbers of articles and journal issues from the first word to the last to get the issue ready for camera ready copy. As a private school and foreign language teacher, I developed an even keener eye for detail and expression.
I would be interested in doing research for and assisting with research in a variety of fields, including academic projects (the humanities), environmental studies, intercultural studies, as author’s assistant and for general surveys.
I have experience working for three different professors in two different departments for over ten years and conducting my own research for my PhD.
I offer tutoring or private lessons to teenagers and adults (GCSE, A Level and university students). My specialist areas are English literature and language, essay writing, German literature and language, history (especially medieval), philosophy, music and pedagogy.
I have over 20 years of teaching and tutoring experience having worked in a vast variety of educational settings. My experience ranges from university level to comprehensive school teaching and special educational needs. I have taught in mainstream as well as in alternative (Waldorf-Steiner) education. I feel that I have benefitted from both approaches and I like to bring my experiences from each field into my own teaching and tutoring.
I enjoy helping individuals or groups in finding their own voice, bringing clarity to their ideas, projects and writings. Having written two major works myself, I know how indispensable the aid of ‘an outside brain’ is in developing one’s own thoughts and visions.
I would like to offer my services to people who are passionate about what they do, be it environmental endeavours, activists’ interests, music or writing, spiritual/religious teaching or creating personal projects. I would love to help you progress and together with you develop every aspect of your work.
- German/English Translation, numerous ongoing projects in range of topics (1992-present)
- Teacher, range of subjects for ages 7-18, Michael Hall School, Sussex (Feb-Aug 2019)
- Therapeutic Music and Teaching Specialist, Mountjoy Special Needs School, Beaminster (2016-2019)
- Secondary Teacher, English & Dramatic Performance, Rudolf-Steiner Schule Dortmund, Germany (2005-2015)
- Secondary Teacher Training, Alanus University, Alfter / Bonn, Germany (2005-2007)
- University Lecturer, Old and Middle English & English Language History, Technical University Dortmund (2005-2007)
- University Lecturer, Medieval English Literature and Historical Linguistics, Ruhr University Bochum (1999-2005)
- Research Assistant, English Historical Linguistics and Medieval Studies, Ruhr University Bochum (1993-1999)
- Editorial Assistant, academic journal
Anglistik und Englischunterricht(1994-1999)
- Student Assistant, Medieval German and Medieval English Studies (1993-1998)
- PhD, The Cross-Dressing Female Saints in Wynkyn de Worde's 1495 Edition of the Vitas Patrum, Bochum 2005
- MA (with honours) in English Studies, American Studies, German Medieval Studies . Ruhr University Bochum (1992-1998)